Monday, December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all! I hope everyone has had good holidays. Today we had Chinese Dim Sum for the Christmas brunch. Not too traditional for most parts of the world, I would think, but quite enjoyable. After brunch with friends, we went downtown for a bit. Here is a view of the neighborhood.



I got a bit of time for quilting in. It looks like I now have two very slow projects going! I worked on my single wedding ring quilt first. Each block has 16 half-square triangles, so I will need 320 in all. After getting all, or almost all the regular squares cut out and pieced, I started working on half-square triangles. I only did one strip's worth, but I am already getting very tired of half-square triangles! This is a time that I wish I had Thangles to try out. After making one strip's worth of half square triangles, I started piecing, but I only ended up with enough HST to make about 2 full blocks. Unfortunately, the way I put things together, I ended up with 1 full block and 2 that are about 2/3's done. I wasn't up for any more half square triangles.

I then went to work on my second WIP -- a Rattlesnake quilt based on Karen K. Stone's pattern. It is my first attempt at paper piecing. I love how sharp the points turn out and how flat everything lays. I do find that it requires a lot of concentration to get everything right, so I can't do too many blocks at once. After piecing one curved and pointy section, I think I am done for the night!

2 comments:

Teri said...

Hello,
It was nice to hear from you on my blog. I have quilted since childhood, but my first attempt at paper piecing was Karen Stone's New York Beauty. I have her Rattlesnake pattern, but I have not tried it out yet. Hope that you had a Merry Christmas!

laura west kong said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I was pleasantly surprised to see the Macao photos. I taught English in China for two years and have visited Macao a time or two, once I believe was during the holidays. If only I'd been a quilter then, oh the fabric I would have collected in Asia!
laura