Wednesday, December 27, 2006

WIP Wednesday

It is WIP Wednesday, and luckily I can take part of the day off for quilting and posting. I have a number of works in progress, but I think I will post about the one that is closest to being a finished top - My "Blue Marquee" quilt. I saw this quilt in The Modern Quilt Workshop and just loved it. It is a great stash buster. Since I have so many blue scaps and because I want a set of blue or green spring-like quilts (I have one at this point), I decided to make this one in blue and white.

It was also a great contrast to the Rattlesnake quilt, which requires concentration. This one is pretty mindless to put together! All you have to do is sew your strips together, cut them up, mix them up, and sew into long strips again. Then it is just chain piecing the blocks together. It went really quickly, and it will have lots of room for fancy quilting. In fact this could aready be a finished top. I have finished all the blocks I need. All I am missing is the alternating plain blocks. I orderd the plain white fabric from the US, and it has shipped, but it has not yet arrived :( . When I was getting to the last few blocks, I was running of leftover strips, so I ended up piecing together very small scraps that were at least 2 1/2" wide. I just barely had enough for the last block. Then last night, when I was cleaning up my sewing area and sorting scraps, I found a whole set of strip sets I had made and put away to use with this quilt. I hope there are enough for an inner border!

Today has been quite a fight with the computer. Due to the earthquake in Taiwan, I cannot access many of the websites I usually use or visit. Sites from Hong Kong and Macau are okay, Taiwan sites are out, and sites from other parts of the world vary. Some sites are totally impossible to access, while others are okay for a while then fail to load. Hope everyone in Taiwan is okay. I got a bunch of messages from one good friend I work with, so he seems to be okay.

On the web front, I did finally figure out how to get the Quilt Studio link on my blog, though. For some reason for the past several days, blogger would not accept it when I tried to post it as HTML coding in the widget box, but when I added it as if it were text, blogger decided it liked it. I think this means I will soon officially be part of the Quilt Studio Ring.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the webring! I like the Marquee quilt-in-progress - my favorite colors are blue and green.

Debra Dixon said...

Welcome! I like this quilt too.

I used Hobbs 80/20 batting in my mom's quilt.

Fruit Jar Nicky said...

Happy WIP Wednesday!

I once quilted a quilt for a lady that raised Elkhounds. The quilt was for her breeder and she had me quilt elkhounds all over it.

http://www.fruitjarjunction.com/Mosaic1.jpg

Wish I had a close-up!

Susan said...

Welcome to the webring. I like your blues quilt - I have bunches of blues left and might have to do something like this. I like the way it looks and can imagine it with the white.

I hope all your friends in Taiwan are okay.

dee said...

Welcome Lori, thanks for the great tip about the chocolate. One problem though....chocolate and it's proximity to me-lasting long enough to be wrapped in the offending quilt. Doubtful

Jen said...

This will be a very pretty quilt and all that white will be a great showcase for your quilting. Jen

Micki said...

Your quilt is going to be great when you finish it.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my Christmas things.

laura west kong said...

It's going to be a beauty.
laura

Joyce said...

I love blue so your quilt is right up my alley. What part of China are you living in, or is it China? We visited Xiamen a couple of years ago when our son was living there. Loved it.