Sunday, December 10, 2006

Opening

I have been browsing various quilt blogs for a while now, and I thought it was about time to try my own hand. I just came back from a work related trip that allowed me to visit the family of the woman that taught me to quilt. She has since passed away, but she was a wonderful, creative person who gave me a great gift with quilting. Though I took a rather long break from quilting when my son was young, I have recently come back to it with a vengence. Now, thanks to her generosity and kindness, I have a hobby that allows me to use my hands and my creativity, and that helps me to keep some balance in my life.

In starting this blog, I began to make a list of all the works I have in progress, and I found there is quite a collection! I am almost done with one quilt that I am calling "Not Quite Amish" or something like that. It is just lacking the binding, and possibly a bit more quilting, but I hope to post some pictures of it soon. What I can post now, though, is its sister quilt, "Almost Amish." I acquired some wonderful batiks and very bright prints that I wanted to find a use for, and this was the result. Fortunately or unfortunately, I accidently cut twice the number of patches I needed (I forgot the fabric was folded!). Not Quite Amish is the second quilt from that project, using the leftover blocks. There area also two very small wall hangings I have been able to make, still using the leftover blocks. Both these quilts have large open spaces for me to play with my machine quilting, my latest obsession.



No comments: