Thursday, April 19, 2007

It's not my best work, but

Finished is better than perfect! I finished up the quilting on my red monster (my red Out of the Box) quilt top. I ended up quilting triangles filled with straight lines in various directions in the borders, and free motion quilting in the remaining boxes. I used the boxes as an opportunity to practice some free motion motifs, which made them quite enjoyable. Even in the border, somehow just changing directions to fill the triangles made the quilting more enjoyable than the endless straight lines in the body of the quilt. I rather like the quilt again now. There is one place where I really messed up the design in the border, and I am still thinking of whether I should fix it. If the quilt were for my own use, I would leave it, but I am thinking of giving it to a friend's child when I visit the US this summer. It is certainly not my best quilting, but my friend is not a quilter and probably will not really notice...still, I don't like to give someone something that I am not that happy with.

Now all that is left is the binding. I think I will use the Ricky Tim piped binding again to practice it. Last time I had a bit of difficulty with the corners. I will post pictures when it is all done. I have been extremely busy this week, but I should have time to quilt on Sunday. On Monday I leave for Beijing, and then go to Ulan Baatar (Mongolia). I am looking forward to the trip, but I doubt there will do anything quilt related next week. Hopefully I will get some pictures of Mongolia!

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Mongolia sounds interesting! I have read about it but never been there. Do they make any interesting fabrics there?

Deb Hardman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb Hardman said...

I love the qoute you have in the side bar. Funny.

I hadn't realized you weren't in the US! China, wow! You should be showing pictures!

Love the shirt in the previous post!

I know what you mean about the quilting, I've been known to set & pick out stitches for days on end, when I wasn't satisfied with my quilting design. I've never regreted taking them out, but a few I've regreted that I didn't!

Sorry about the deleted comment. It was just me trying to fix my typos!