Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Beginnings

Although my blog focuses on my quilting, I wanted to share a recent work-related development that will also give you a taste of Macau life. I work for a non-profit, non-governmental organization (The Badi Foundation) that promotes human resource development for social and economic development in China. One of our projects is a formal school called the School of the Nations in Macau. Yesterday we had the ground breaking ceremony for the new school facilities, which will also house my office. This is a very long awaited development, achieved through a government grant of land and other much valued support from various government departments, as well as ceaseless work by the Director of the School and other staff.

We had a formal ground breaking ceremony in the Macau style. After some songs from students and speeches, there was the actual ground breaking. Luckily they caught me (I am on the far right) before the hat slipped over my eyes.

Then there is the ceremonial cutting of the suckling pig, with incense surrounding

Finally, there are firecrackers set off to scare bad spirits from the construction site and as celebration. I don't have pictures of that, but they were the long red trails of firecrackers, and they were hung from a construction crane. For those who are interested, the picture below shows what the new school will look like (I am in the picture at the bottom of the article helping to cut the roast pig).

5 comments:

Joyce said...

Thanks for the little peek into life in Macau.

sophie said...

The atmosphere around work must be very exciting these days. Thanks for sharing this "new beginnings."

Vivian Love said...

I enjoy reading your blog and seeing what's going on in Macau. (and I enjoy your quilt posts too!)Thanks for sharing.

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

You were big news in the paper too! How exciting to be part of this!

Debra Dixon said...

What a wonderful stepping stone in your career!