Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WIP Gamelan Quilt

I decided to go with the black background fabric for my Gamelan quilt because that was how it was in my head, and I had enough black left to make a few blocks without ordering anything. Here are my blocks so far:

I have pictures of the individual blocks following the above picture in my Webshots Quilt WIP album if you want to see in more detail These blocks are so much fun to make and really quite easy. I love that each block turns out so different from the others with just one fabric. The pattern in The Modern Quilt Workshop calls for only 3 blocks for a wall hanging, but i think I am going to make at least one more and make mine longer. They are just too much fun to pass up.

Other good news is that we have decided to get a sewing table made for me. That will mean my family can have the dining room table back when they want it, and I will get a set-in machine for easier quilting. DH was worried the table would be beyond the ability of carpenters here (wish I had a confused smiley here) and he was coming up with all kinds of strange solutions, but someone at About helped me find the links to pictures of how other husbands had made tables, and now he is convinced it can be done. Hurray!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see your new table - how exciting!

Joyce said...

I love the black background. IT sets off the colors so well. Lucky you to get a sewing table that you can set in your machine. I'm sure you will love it.

LuĂ­sa Silva said...

Lovely blocks. I couldn't find the links to your webshot pictures

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I love getting started with a new pattern. I do the same thing and can't wait to finish a block just so I can *really* see what it looks like!

Rose Marie said...

These blocks are great and they zing with the black background. You'll have to keep us updated on your table.

Patti said...

Wow - you have been to Mongolia and back, have been in the newspaper cutting a suckling pig, had flashes of domestic godess-ness, and started a new quilt - all since I last found time to visit your blog. I'm so far behind on my blog reading - I think you'd written 13 posts I needed to read. I love your blue and white quilt and the new pillows to go with it! It was fun reading the 7 new things about you - I, too, am enjoying getting to know people through this meme. I've been tagged so I need to find time to write my post this weekend.

laura west kong said...

The fabric looks wonderful on the black. Congratulations on your sewing table!

Diana said...

I just love these blocks--the colors against the black background look very dramatic.