Saturday, March 24, 2007

It's back!

My sewing machine is back! I got it back Thursday after a long wait, and it has been given a clean bill of health. Not only that, but I have the whole day today for quilting. Unfortunately, the presser feet I ordered so that I could do the border on the Single Wedding Ring quilt are not yet in, so that one is not yet finished. To celebrate the return of my beloved sewing machine, instead, inspired by the quilters on this ring who also sew, I made my first item of clothing.

Okay, made is probably a bit of an over- statement. I did, however, quilt an item of clothing. I have Karen McTavish's book and DVD on McTavishing, and in it there are a couple of pictures of McTavished sweatshirt jackets. I bought a cheap sweatshirt after seeing them, and yesterday I cut it apart and began McTavishing it using a variegated thread I had on hand. Once I had the pieces McTavished, I thought I was in real trouble because I had no idea how to put it back together again, but I discovered the overlock stitch on my sewing machine and here is the result.

It still needs binding, obviously, but I am amazed to see that I was in fact able to put it back together and I can actually wear it. I used up all the lining fabric, so now I have to figure out what to use to bind it. But, overall, I am quite pleased with my effort! And yes, it took only a few hours last night and half a day today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was a great idea for practicing McTavishing. Don't you miss your SM when it's away? That's one reason I have more than one now!

Joyce said...

That turned out really well. You can bind it just like you would bind a quilt. I sewed clothing for years before I started quilting. There is also a stretchy pre-folded binding that you can get which would also work well.

Granny Fran said...

Good for you. The McTavishing is gorgeous. I keep thinking I'm going to do some type of quilted sweatshirt, but it's one of those "some day" projects.