Wednesday, March 7, 2007

WIP Wednesday 3/7

I have been working away on my Single Wedding Ring quilt. Since I am now working at home, I have been rewarding myself for completing work related tasks by letting myself quilt a block. I now have about 3/4 of the central portion done. I am a little reluctant to keep posting pictures because there will be nothing left to show when the quilt is done, but it is WIP Wednesday.

Here is what I have been doing. I think my feathers have loosened up a bit in the few days of practice, so they are a little more curvy. I love feathers!

In the pieced blocks I have just been doing continuous curves, but I am not sure whether to continue that in the center of the block or to put in a motif of some sort. I like the way the continuous curves create a circular image around the center of the block, and it would be nice to continue that feeling. Any suggestions?

I am also wondering about what to do in the border. I could definitely continue the Victorian feathers throughout the border, or I could switch to something different, like a geometric motif. In Quilting Makes the Quilt, one version of this quilt has feathered wreaths in the plain blocks and is quilted with a very sharp geometric motif in the border-- you divide the border into triangles, and do parallel lines in the triangles. I can't explain it well, but it looks great. It would be pretty boring quilting, though. Again, suggestions are welcome.

8 comments:

Deb Geyer said...

The feathers are beautiful!! I like how they work with the continuous curves. It might be nice to carry the feathers into the center of the blocks with the curves, but it is always hard for me to say without seeing it. I end up doing a lot of trial and error! Good luck with whatever you decide to do. I look forward to seeing more.

Forgetmenot said...

Your feathers are turning out very nicely indeed. They look great in the photos and i'm sure they are very much nicer in real life *s*

Diana said...

Those feathers are so beautiful I would be tempted to take them into the borders, too.

Rose Marie said...

All I can say is "WOW". Your quilting is beautiful and it's really making the quilt come alive! If you do a geometric in the blocks, how about taking part of the design and bringing it out into the border along with some feathers to fill in? It's hard to say without seeing the whole quilt.
Looking forward to seeing more.

The Calico Cat said...

reply to your comment... (I don't have your e-mail...)
Well don't hold your breath... In my mind they won't take any time, but I haven't even traced the circles onto the fusible yet... (For half a minute, I thought about using freezer paper - fusible is more realistic...) Maybe I don't have to trace it - just fuse it and cut them out... - too stiff? probably - back to tracing, so that I can do the window technique....

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the feathers, too!

laura west kong said...

Gorgeous feathers!It would be more fun to quilt feathers in the border, but the triangles would be a nice contrast. Either should look great though.

dee said...

This looks just lovely Lori. I'm in awe of the beautiful feathers and I love the idea of the two color quilt. They always look like heirlooms from long ago. Beautiful