Thursday, March 15, 2007

Oh dear, no WIP For me

I finished the quilting on my Single Wedding Ring on Sunday. I extended the feathers into the border, and I am very happy how it turned out. To use the Ricky Tims binding method, I need to purchase two new presser feet, and since the only Bernina dealer is in Hong Kong, I decided to bring my machine for an annual tune-up, get the feet, and pick up the #3 pearl cotton you need for the method.

Since DS was sick Monday, I had to put it off until Tuesday. When I got there (having lugged the quite heavy machine from taxi to boat, through 2 sets of customs and immigration, and onto another taxi), I learned that the technician is sick, has a giant backlog, and I probably won't be able to get my sewing machine back for a week. They also didn't have the two presser feet I needed in stock, so that may take a week to two weeks as well. I did pick up the new 1/4" foot with the seam guide and some bobbins. So it looks like no machine sewing will go on in my house for at least a week, and my Single Wedding Ring quilt may take longer to finish than I had thought. I do have a hand sewing project that I usually only work on when I am traveling, so I may need to work on that. At least when I get the presser feet, that will be two more in the box that will have some idea how to use.

I am not kidding about the presser feet. I did not get any lessons with my machine, and I am quite domestically challenged. I am sure that my sewing machine can do many amazing and wonderful things, just not while I am sitting at it. Lately, DH seems to be developing expectations that I will do something with it other than make quilts. A few weeks ago, he asked if my sewing machine could sew on buttons, and this week he asked me to make a quilt cover for a strangely shaped pillow that we got at Ikea. Honestly, he even used the word quilt to entice me to try to make it. What to do, what to do?

As you can see, the pillow has a connector to a zippered pocket that has a weight in it so you can hang it over the back of the chair and it won't fall off.

3 comments:

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

LOL about the "Quilt" entisement! I have mending in my quilt room that has been sitting there more than a year! I will safety pin hems, but hand sew my bindings. What a contradiction!

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

PS, hope you get your machine back soon too!

Kay said...

Tell your husband you're a fabric artist and you don't do domestic stuff. It's worth a try! (Of course, your machine really DOES sew on buttons--)