Sunday, March 18, 2007

Since my sewing machine isn't here

I have been working a bit on two quilt projects. First, I have done a bit on my hand piecing project. It was supposed to be a Drunkard's Path done in fairly random fabric combinations. I don't have Drunkard's Path templates, so I found one in a book I have, made the template and began cutting. It was only after I had cut my fabrics that I realized the pattern was not a standard drunkard's path but a variation designed to be pieced with sashing running through the circles (the XOXO pattern in the Modern Quilt workshop). This means that the edges of the pie-shaped piece are all bias and the outside part is quite narrow and difficult to cut accurately. I also learned how not to make templates doing this. Thin slippery plastic is not the best choice of template material! We have to learn somehow!

The other thing I have been doing is beginning to design a whole cloth quilt. I have always wanted to do one, and if I can't use my machine, at least I can mark some fabric for a whole cloth.

Aside from the quilt-related things, I have been cleaning my closet, or at least beginning to. I am taking out clothes that I don't wear any more, and looking for things that can either be given away or cut up to make quilts. I also added some things to the Trader's Village. They are silks I bought locally that I don't think I will ever use. Check it out!

2 comments:

laura west kong said...

It looks like it's going to be a wonderful quilt!
laura k

Granny Fran said...

I love those colors together. That should be gorgeous when all put together.