Wednesday, March 28, 2007

WIP Wednesday 3/28

Now that I have my sewing machine back, I have been working on a quick project in addition to my Rattlesnake quilt. I have done three blue and white quilts recently, and I was really rather tired of blue and white, so I decided to work on something easy to piece that was not blue and white!

Remember all those red/orange strips left over from the red Rattlesnake quilt? I decided to use them up in a red and black log cabin. It is actually my first "traditional" log cabin. I made one Sierra Log Cabin from Judy Martin's books, the one with flying geese in the logs. I made that before I really understood about the 1/4" seam and before I had any clue as how to work with flying geese triangles, so as my quilts go, the results are... amusing. I doubt that there are two flying geese in any block that are the same size.

The traditional log cabins are much easier! I got very excited about churning out blocks and managed to finish at least 8 and to get 6-8 almost done before I left for Thailand. That is where I am now, so unfortunately, I can't post any pictures of the log cabin blocks until I get home. Instead, here is my first log cabin. DS chose the fabrics and the pattern.
One more piece of good news --the day before I left for Thailand, I also got a call saying the presser feet I ordered have arrived, so when I get back home, I will head over to Hong Kong to pick them up. That means my Single Wedding Ring may soon be bound.

1 comment:

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Oh! that fancy flying geese block technique is like magic, isn't it?!? I just love the way they come out.

LOL about the 1/4" seems. I made quite a few quilts before I knew what that "really" meant. I didn't know what all the fuss was about since my quilt blocks came out all right, I just used the edge of my presser foot then, close enough, right? I have to laugh to myself to think how irked my B.O.M. must have been to the person that won them at guild. We all learn! I do love my 1/4" presser foot too!