Saturday, January 6, 2007

It arrived! This time it really did.

My Kona Snow order arrived! I wasn't able to do much with it during the week because of work, but today I have been able to work on my Blue Marquee quilt. I now have a finished top, after only a little work last night and most of the day today. DS and DH were both out, so I had no distractions from quilting. There was a bit of a delay and a near disaster on this quilt. As I was putting on the borders, our helper (one of the benefits of living in this part of the world is being able to have help for cleaning and ironing) offered to iron the border I had just put on. That allowed me to work on the next border, which still required some piecing. But she burned it! She felt really bad, and so did I. I am glad I still had plenty of fabric left, though. I took off the border and cut off the burned part. There is still a smaller burn on one of the plain blocks, but we used bleach on the cut off piece of border and it turned out fine, so I will bleach the spot on the block as well.

This has got to be one of the best scrap-busting quilts around. It goes together so quickly, and you don't really have to worry much about accuracy. I found a white and green stripped flannel fabric here for the backing. It is not a fabric I would normally have chosen, but it fits the spring feeling I want for the quilt and it is soo soft! I think this will turn out to be one of the family's favorite quilts to snuggle under. I don't have a picture of the top yet, but I do have a few pictures of life in Macau.

The picture at the top of the post is of tiling on the one of the sidewalks downtown. Wouldn't it make a great quilt block? Perhaps because of the Portuguese influence in Macau, there are a lot of tiled areas. Buildings use a lot of marble and granite for flooring, and they can be a great source for ideas for quilt blocks, too.

The two other pictures are of shops. See the birds hanging in the one on the left? People still take their birds out for walks and keep them at the store with them, then take them home at night. You can hear the birds singing as you shop.

Then there is this shop. What can I say? Would you buy anything from this shop?

6 comments:

Joyce said...

I actually thought the tile in the first picture was your quilt block and I was very impressed! Lol. I love the tile and granite buildings. Xiamen was full of them too. I did find the tile floors hard and slippery though, even though they looked beautiful. What does Ick sell? Not food I hope!

Joyce said...

OOps, I meant granite floors. The house my son rented had all graninte floors and when their maid washed them I feared for the kids' lives as they rampaged down the three flights of stairs.

sophie said...

I love the curves and angles in the tiled sidewalk ... and had to share it with the handpiecers on the quilting forum. I think it has a lot of design possibilities. The discussion thread is message #48850. (Not sure I can add href tags, hope that works)

Debra Dixon said...

I thought that was your block too! Where is the block?

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I wish I had made a quilt block like that! Wouldn't it be stunning?

No, the quilt I was working on is the same one from a previous WIP -- http://quiltmusings.blogspot.com/2006/12/wip-wednesday.html

It is definitely a far cry from the elegance of those tiles!

Granny Fran said...

It took me a while to figure out that that was the tile referred to instead of a quilt block. Very graceful shapes. Your job sound very interesting; what an opportunity.