Wednesday, January 3, 2007

It's Wednesday!

There has been mighty little quilting going on at my house over the last few days. The main work in progress has been my office. I have just begun working at home instead of at the office, so this week has been spent making the workspace more efficient and effective. This seemed to mainly consist of taking everything out of my work cabinet, putting it into different piles and moving the piles to other parts of the house, which in turn necessitated taking more things off of their shelves, putting them in piles, and moving them again. But I am now about 90% done and can take a break for some quilting and blogging.

The little quilting I have done has been piecing for my Single Wedding Ring quilt. I am still waiting for the Kona Snow to arrive, so my Blue Marquee is exactly as I posted it last Wednesday. My Single Wedding Ring now has 8 completed blocks! I usually like to use a variety of fabrics in my quilts, and but this quilt uses only two. I am using a McKenna Ryan fabric I found in Thailand a few months ago. I absolutely fell in love with the fabric, and the variation in the fabric gives the blocks the depth I usually get from using more fabrics.

The quilt is based on the Single Wedding Ring quilt featured in Quilting Makes the Quilt. I love that book, and this quilt especially appeals to me. I can already see how I will quilt it -- with wild Victorian feathers in all the plain blocks. I think this will be the quilt for me to learn to do freehand feathers, though I do have one feather stencil as a starting point if I want it.

Joyce asked earlier if I am in China. I am in Macau, a former Portuguese colony near Hong Kong and now part of China, but my work takes me to China frequently. Macau is a very, very small place and quite easy to live in. I will try to post some pictures in later posts so you can see what it is like.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

We spent time in Hong Kong and China a couple of years ago but never made it to Macau, much to my regret. Maybe in the future...

Terri Stegmiller said...

Hi Lori, thanks for your comments on my blog. I enjoy meeting new bloggers and I'll be adding your blog to my bloglines list. Pardon my ignorance, but can you explain what "Baha'i" is? Since I'll never be a worldwide traveler, the blogging world is my travel experience.

Debra Dixon said...

Don't you just hate that rearranging part of reorganizing? It's, like, where do I stuff this stuff now?!

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

That is exactly it! I also find that I end up moving things and later cannot remember where they have gone. I tend to also throw quite a lot out, inevitably throwing something that I need a day or two later. But for the moment, my work area looks good.

Susan said...

I love the blue and white blocks! You've done a great job. The floor makes a pretty background for them. =)