Sunday, January 7, 2007

Thanks, Becky and Sophie!

Sophie shared the photo of sidewalk tiles from yesterday's post over at the quilting forum at About, and Becky (Rabidquilter) actually drafted some blocks based on the tile. They are wonderful! Check them out in this thread at About. Now I will really have to try making the block! But not until I finish the other works in progress!

Here is a quick picture of the top I finished up yesterday. I didn't get any time for quilting beyond piecing the back for the quilt. I am rather uninspired on the quilting at this point. In my recent quilts I have used a lot of freehand "background motifs" and my version of McTavishing, so that the quilts are quite densely quilted. I am thinking of leaving the blue parts unquilted because there are so many seam allowances, and possibly using different block motifs in each of the smaller and larger plain squares. It would look great with trapunto in each of the larger white squares, but I am not sure that I am up for so much trapunto, especially as I don't have any water soluble thread and have to pick out all my basting stitches. Any ideas for quilting would be very welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like this top. Since I got my longarm over a year ago I am finally starting to "get" quilts with lots of quilting space. Before I only wanted lots of color and piecing because I didn't want to do so much quilting on my DSM. I like your idea of a motif in the blocks. Some diagonal cross-hatching might look good as a "background".

Lori (A.K.A. Elkhoundmom) said...

I would love to have a long-arm but since getting my Bernina 440 last year, I just love having lots of quilting space in my quilts. It also makes things go much quicker because there are fewer pieced blocks, lol.