Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Not Today

I had every intention of finishing the center portion of my single wedding ring quilt today, but it does not look like it is going to happen. I have put a good amount of time into quilting today, but I ended up doing more ripping out than I had expected. When you have to join up two pieced blocks, there are a lot of HSTs coming together, and it did not always go smoothly. I also could never quite figure out how to press the blocks so the seams would interlock. I always ended up with some I needed to flip, and that made it hard to keep things accurate when putting everything together. For one pair of blocks, I first just did a really inadequate job of sewing them together and decided to rip it out. I am not usually too fussy, but this would not have passed the "riding on horseback at 50 yards" test. Then I redid it, and was happy to see that I had hit almost all the points in the right spots, only to find that I had sewed right side to wrong side...on the third try I finally got it right. But I had too many of those kinds of errors, and now the quilt is only partially sewn together and I am exhausted. I still have some time tomorrow morning, but after that I will probably have almost no time to sew for about 2 weeks because of meetings and people staying at my house. Maybe I will try again later tonight.

Sally thought I was spending entirely too much time at my sewing machine, too. She decided to take up this position to see if she could get me to change my mind. She kept leaning her head against the foot pedal. I would move it, and she would move just a bit closer. Silly dog, that won't stop me!

What are you looking at? I'm not doing anything!

7 comments:

Diana said...

So frustrating! I can never seem to get blocks to "nest" either. I hope you can get the rest done before all your meetings.

Anonymous said...

Sally is too cute!

Joyce said...

Ripping out is such a pain but it is usually better to do it than wish you had.

Jen said...

Sorry you had a frustrating day...I think it's happened to all of us.
Sally is so cute. My Nikki used to lean on the footpedal too, which is one reason why I love my "pushbutton" option for starting and stoppping sewing. No more footpedal to worry about. Jen

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

Good Dog!!! She knows you were having a tough day!

Julia said...

Hi,
Thank you for your comment on my blog, which in turn brought me to your blog.
I love your free hand machine quilting which I just can't seem to master...I must practice more...

Granny Fran said...

Cute! My cat, ChoCho, keeps me company at the computer this way. He used to sit on top of the monitor until I got a big, thin one.