Wednesday, February 28, 2007

WIP Wednesday: Top Finished


So far this week has still been slow, and it will continue to be slow for quilting until next week when things quiet down a bit at work. I did manage to finish my Single Wedding Ring quilt top, though. I mitered the corners -- my first attempt at mitering borders. Sewing on the first borders and mitering the first corner took me about an hour, but the second went faster. Here is the result of my labor.

I actually finished this top a few days ago, and I was planning to post about how mitering was easier than I thought it would be -- three of my four miters have the points matching exactly where they should be. However, in the meantime, I have ironed the top and laid it out on the bed to take a picture, and lo and behold, it is not very flat at all! Of course, part of the problem is that I haven't straightened it too well, but even on the floor, it is not as flat as it should be. The problem isn't only in the borders, but my mitering probably did not help. The borders have some serious puffs. It is very disappointing. My second insight: this is one gigantic quilt! It covers the entire top of my king size bed! It is going to be quite the experience to quilt this on my home sewing machine.

The other thing I have worked on in the last week (unsuccessfully!) is extending my home computer network. I have a router with wireless, but the master bedroom signal is unreliable, so I want to add another access point. I bought a router/access point, but although I can get it set up as a router, it is not working as an access point! Since I am still in meetings, I don't have time to get it sorted out. Hopefully I will end up with reliable wireless access sometime soon.

3 comments:

Joyce said...

Your quilt looks wonderful. Don't see any puffs in the photo. I don't envy you the job of quilting it on your regular machine though.

Avalon Acres Farm said...

Wow, the quilt looks great and your miters look great as well. Good luck with that home network!

Rose Marie said...

It's beautiful! I've been wanting to make one for a couple of years and today, actually bought the perfect backing for a blue & white English Wedding quilt. I think seeing yours in the works has spurned me on. Good luck in the quilting!